UNITED NATIONS HIGH COMMISSIONER FOR REFUGEES (UNHCR)
EXTERNAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
Title of Post: Senior Administrative Assistant
Category/Grade: General Service, G5
Length of Contract: 6 Months
Type of Contract: Temporary Appointment (maternity Leave replacement)
Location: Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Date of Issue: May 1, 2020
Effective Date of Assignment: June 1, 2020
Closing Date: May 22, 2020
The Senior Administrative Assistant will provide administrative support to the office in Tegucigalpa, under the supervision of the Administrative Officer who provides guidance on a daily basis.
The Senior Administrative Assistant has no direct supervisory functions.. S/he may liaise with local suppliers and/or officials and/or Implementing Partners (IPs) on routine subject matters under the direction of the supervisor.
- All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Assist in interpreting and processing of entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files.
- Attend meetings on day-to-day admin matters; administer the movement of UNHCR staff members and monitor their attendance records, leave plans, overtime and visa requirements.
- Search office files and records relating to a variety of topics for information and reference. Select information and records in specified format or on the basis of general instructions for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, project or programme plans and general reference documents.
- Assist in requisition of office supplies, equipment and arrange for distribution together with the appropriate inventory records.
- Assist in administrative formalities related to travel arrangements and issuance/ renewal of visas, licences, travel arrangements and other similar documents.
- Draft correspondence and reports, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility; Type correspondence, documents and reports, some of which may be highly confidential.
- Arrange appointments and maintain supervisor's calendar, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answer queries with discretion; Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of ministers, government officials and members of the diplomatic corps.
- Assist the management to organise and run UNHCR Office and Residential (wherever applicable) compounds.
- Facilitate various official missions of UNHCR staff and other persons of concern to UNHCR.
- Prepare attestations and certificates required by the staff members for signature of senior officer.
- Assist in processing MIP and various other claims by UNHCR staff and other clients of UNHCR.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- IT-Computer Literacy;
- UN-UN/UNHCR Administrative Rules, Regulations and Procedures;
- UN-UN/UNHCR Financial Rules and Regulations and Procedures
- IT-PeopleSoft Applications
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of Secondary education with High School diploma in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field.
- Minimum 2 years of previous job experience relevant to the function
- Computer skills (in MS office)
- Fluency in Spanish and working knowledge of English.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Completion of the UNHCR Learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
All jobs at UNHCR require six core competencies and may also require managerial competencies and/or cross-functional competencies. The six core competencies are listed below.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Planing and Organizing
Eligibility / Internal candidates:
Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (IOM/49-FOM/50/2012 dated 15 June 2012). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
Only applicants who have internal status are eligible to apply to vacancies that have been advertised internally. An applicant who has internal status is a staff member holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in any duty station in the country.
Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please submit your letter of motivation and updated factsheet by e-mail clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date May 22, 2020
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet https://www.unhcr.org/how-to-apply.html?query=personal%20history%20form
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Refugees – who cares? We Do